This is Provincial Mining Week in Manitoba.
If you are looking to Dig Up Some Fun check out the free activities down at The Forks in Winnipeg. These are activities enjoyed by children and adults alike. It's a real family exploration affair.
Thursday, May 24 (9:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.)
Friday, May 25 (9:30 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.)
Saturday, May 26 (9:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.)
Some of the activities
- Pan for gold with Yukon Dan, champion gold panner – leave no stone unturned as you play prospector for a day
- Stump the Rock Doc – bring a neat rock, talk to the Doc
- Be a rockhound – collect your own fossil and mineral samples
- Check out the equipment used for exploration and extraction of minerals
- See the demos – watch how the experts cut and polish precious stones
- Trace the past – see Manitoba's rich mining history from the 1800s to the present
- Examine mineral samples and the many products you use that contain minerals
- Test your mining I.Q. – spin the wheel, answer a question and win a prize!
- Picture yourself as a mine worker – have CVRD Inco Limited take your photo as a scooptram operator
- Enter free Draws to win prizes
- Talk with experienced prospectors from the Manitoba Prospectors and Developers Association Inc.
and Lots more.
Last year the Provincial Mining Week has a huge success. Thousands of people visited The Forks. For more information contact: 204-945-6569 or toll-free 1-800-223-5215
What a great way to learn about minerals and fossils and have fun at the same time!
Images from Mining Week 2006